What records you can order
Certified copies of birth certificates for anyone born in the State of Washington since 1907. In some cases, records are able to go as far back as 1875.
Whitman County Health Department has all death certificates on file for the last 60 days. Death certificates that were issued before can be ordered from the Washington State Department of Health.
Who can order
Only qualified applicants can receive a certified copy. Qualified applicants are:
- Subject of the record (a person who is buying their own birth certificate).
- Spouse or domestic partner.
- Parent, step-parent, or legal guardian.
- Child or stepchild.
- Grandparent or great grandparent.
- Legal representative.
- Authorized representative.
- Government agency or the courts if the birth certificate is used to conduct official duties.
When to order
Wait at least 15 days after birth to apply and pay for a certificate.
Adding parentage? Learn more about the Acknowledgment of Parentage.
Wait to order until the funeral home tells you the record is ready.
Order Certificates Online
Visit VitalChek and follow the instructions on the site to order your birth or death certificate online.
An additional fee is charged by VitalChek for using this service, and all major credit and debit cards are accepted. Please allow 2-3 business days for processing.
Other internet vendors are not authorized by Whitman County Public Health and may charge additional fees without providing state-approved services. Neither Whitman County Public Health, nor VitalChek have control over the services and fees other Internet vendors offer and charge, nor can we guarantee the confidentiality of any vital record data provided to vendors other than VitalChek.
Order Certificates by Mail
Prior to mailing application materials, you must complete a Death Certificate Order Form or Birth Certificate Order Form online. You will receive an email confirming your submission.
Once you have submitted an online application, mail the following to 310 N Main St, Ste 108, Colfax, WA 99111 USA:
- Payment of $25 per certificate
- Photocopy of valid ID, if you were unable to attach a digital copy/image to application.
- If applicable and you were unable to attach a digital copy/image to application, photocopies of proper documents proving qualifying relationship. If originals are sent, they will be mailed back to you with your certificate.
Order Certificates In-Person
Visit one of office locations during normal business hours and be prepared to do the following:
- Complete online Death Certificate Order Form or Birth Certificate Order Form in-office.
- Present a Valid ID.
- If applicable, present proper documents proving qualifying relationship.
- Provide payment of $25 per certificate.
Requests can generally be filled within 15 minutes.
How can I order a Heirloom Birth Certificate?
The Department of Health can help you order a Heirloom Birth Certificate.
How can I order an Apostille?
The Department of Health can help you order an apostille.
If you have any questions, please contact us at 509-397-6280 or email at CommunityHealth@whitmancounty.net.